Remember back in the day when a new tie was the go-to gift for Father’s Day? That was a long time ago…. Well, one gift idea that never goes out of style is FOOD, especially “Dad” food: you know, fun stuff that has “special treat” written all over it.
This year, why not make something from Nut Butter Universe — the recipes are fun and flavor-packed. You might try the Smoke and Spice Hummus (served with Dad’s favorite dippers), photo by Lori Maffei. Or make a special grilled dinner featuring these Grilled Vegetables with Almond Romesco (photo by Somer Vedge):
And Nutty Buddy Burgers:
You could always say it with sweets, like this Too-East Chocolate Fudge. (Note: The photos of the burgers and the fudge are also by Somer Vedge. Here’s a link to her review of Nut Butter Universe.
Or start Dad’s special day with a fun breakfast like these muffins (show here with Granola Sunflower Bars and a Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie (photo by Lori Maffei):
In case you don’t have Nut Butter Universe yet, here’s the recipe for these tasty muffins, so Dad won’t go hungry.
Happy Father’s Day!
Cranberry-Pecan Butter Muffins
The only thing better than savoring the aroma of these fresh-baked fragrant muffins is biting into one. Bejeweled with sweet-tart cranberries, and loaded with protein and calcium, they are a good choice for breakfast or a between-meal snack served with coffee or tea.
- 1/3 cup pecan butter
- 3 tablespoons neutral vegetable oil
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds with 3 tablespoons of water in a blender and blend until the mixture thickens, about 1 minute.
- 1/2 cup natural sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a muffin pan.
- Blend the pecan butter and oil in a large bowl. Add the milk, flaxseed mixture, and sugar and blend until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. Stir into the pecan butter mixture until just blended.
- Fold in the cranberries, then transfer the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling the cups about two- thirds full. Sprinkle the tops with about 2 teaspoons of chopped pecans.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Makes 12 muffins