I love New York — and I REALLY love NYC Vegan, the fantastic new cookbook by Michael Suchman and Ethan Ciment aka the Vegan Mos. It’s such a fun book, billed with personal anecdotes and stories about New York City. Best of all, of course, are the wonderful recipes — all the great food New York is know for, made deliciously vegan. One of my favorites is the Street Fair Corn (below) which I will be making regularly this summer.
Kudos to Michael and Ethan for a job well done and for bringing New York City into our kitchens! If you don’t own NYC Vegan, do yourself a favor and order a copy today.
Street Fair Corn
Summer in New York City means weekend street fairs. The fairs have no rides or games. Instead, avenues are closed to traffic for several blocks, where dozens of vendors sell food. One of the most popular foods is Mexican Street Corn—freshly grilled sweet corn coated in a mixture of cheese and spiced mayonnaise. We created a vegan version of this dish that tastes even better than the original. (From NYC Vegan, copyright © 2017 by Michael Suchman and Ethan Ciment. Used by permission. Photo by Jackie Sobon.)
- 1/4 cup nondairy mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup nondairy sour cream
- 1/4 cup nondairy parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, plus more for serving
- 1 medium clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro or Italian parsley
- 4 ears sweet corn, shucked
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat a grill for direct-heat grilling, or heat a grill pan over high heat on the stove. While the grill is heating, in a medium mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, nondairy parmesan, chili powder, garlic, and cilantro. Stir until completely combined.
- Place the corn directly on the hot grill and cook, rotating occasionally, until cooked through and charred in spots on all sides, about 8 minutes total.
- Remove the corn from the grill and transfer to a serving plate. Use a pastry or basting brush to generously coat each ear of corn with the mayonnaise mixture. Sprinkle with extra cheese and chili powder and serve immediately with lime wedges.