Chipotle chiles and smoked paprika provide a smoky heat, while sun-dried tomatoes, lime juice, and a variety of seasonings add to the intriguing flavor palate of this Smoke and Spice Almond Hummus.
Smoke and Spice Almond Hummus
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups or 1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 or 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 oil-packed or rehydrated sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup roasted slivered almonds, for garnish
In a food processor, combine the garlic, chickpeas, chipotle, and tomatoes, and process to a paste. Add the almond butter, lime juice, paprika, coriander, cumin, and the water.
Process until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and add 2 tablespoons of the cilantro. Pulse to combine thoroughly.
Transfer the hummus to a bowl. If not serving right away, cover and refrigerate until needed.
If serving right away, sprinkle the top with the almonds and remaining cilantro.
From The Nut Butter Cookbook by Robin Robertson. ©2014 Robin Robertson. Used by permission from Andrews McMeel Publishing. Photo by Lori Maffei.