The quick and easy sauce in this recipe is made with just three ingredients, but it provides a big bang of flavor as a coating for the lightly fried tofu. When making the sauce, mix in the sriracha a little at a time and taste as go, to be sure turns out at the heat level you prefer. I like to serve this Big Bang Tofu over rice or quinoa with sautéed greens on the side. The sauce also makes a great dip for roasted cauliflower florets.
Big Bang Tofu
- 1/3 cup Asian sweet chili sauce
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise (I like Just Mayo)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 14 to 16 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil or other neutral oil
In a small bowl, combine the chili sauce, mayonnaise, and sriracha. Mix well until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch dice and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with the cornstarch and salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat the tofu.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and stir-fry until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Toss the tofu with the reserved sauce and serve hot.
Recipe from MORE Quick-Fix Vegan by Robin Robertson © 2014, Andrews McMeel Publishing.