If you’re a fan of peanut butter and white chocolate, this post is for you. I confess to not having much of a sweet tooth, but when these little temptations are around, I usually cave. You can make them with regular semi-sweet (vegan) chocolate if you prefer and you can even use almond or cashew butter instead of peanut butter. They’re all good.
If you need an excuse to make these treats, they make a great “homemade” gift for Mother’s Day. Or you could just make some to celebrate Spring!
Here’s the recipe:
White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
1/2 cup Earth Balance
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, or more
12 ounces vegan white chocolate chips
1. Melt the Earth Balance in a medium-size saucepan over low heat. Stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until well blended. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar. Mix well until thoroughly combined, then refrigerate while you melt the chocolate.
2. Place the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl and set it over a saucepan of simmering water until melted. (Note: if your white chocolate isn’t melting smoothly, add a drop or two of neutral vegetable oil.)
3. Use a small brush to coat the chocolate over the bottom and about 1/2 inch up the sides of 12 paper cupcake liners. Refrigerate the cups until firm, about 10 minutes.
4. The peanut butter mixture should be firm. If it isn’t, incorporate a bit more confectioner’s sugar, a little at a time. Scoop out about 2 tablespoons of the peanut butter mixture and shape into a ball. Flatten the ball into a disc and place inside one of the chilled chocolate-lined cups. Repeat until all the cups are filled.
5. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of the remaining melted chocolate over the top of each cup. Refrigerate until firm.