These tasty Spice Rubbed Vegetable Skewers are a crowd pleaser whether plated individually or heaped on a platter and served on a buffet. Be sure to soak the bamboo skewers in cold water for 30 minutes to prevent them from burning. Use coconut aminos instead of tamari to make this soy-free.
Spice-Rubbed Vegetable Skewers with Cashew Sauce
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon natural sugar
- 1 tablespoon wheat-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon natural sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 Japanese eggplants, halved or quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large red bell pepper, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 4 leaves leaf lettuce
In a bowl or food processor, combine the coconut milk, cashew butter, ginger, garlic, sugar, tamari, and lemon juice. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and simmer on low heat until slightly thickened, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the coriander, cumin, sugar, salt, and cayenne. Set aside.
Preheat the broiler or grill. Place the eggplant, bell pepper, and mushroom in a large bowl and drizzle with the oil. Toss to coat. Sprinkle the vegetables with the reserved spice mixture, tossing to coat. Press any remaining spice mixture from the bottom of the bowl into the vegetables so the spices adhere.
Thread the vegetables onto the skewers and place them under the broiler or on the grill until well browned, 5 to 7 minutes per side.
Arrange the skewered vegetables on plates lined with lettuce leaves. Drizzle the skewers with some of the sauce. Divide the reserved sauce among 4 small dipping bowls, and place them on the plates with the skewered vegetables. Serve at once.
From The Nut Butter Cookbook by Robin Robertson. ©2014 Robin Robertson. Used by permission from Andrews McMeel Publishing. Photo by Zsu Dever.