Little gem lettuce has spoiled me for other types of lettuce—it’s everything we love about butter and romaine lettuce, all in one compact little head— and it’s perfect for this English Garden Salad. If you can’t find Little Gem lettuce, substitute another type of lettuce, such as Boston or Bibb.
English Garden Salad
- 4 ounces thin asparagus or young green beans trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 to 3 heads Little Gem lettuce or other tender lettuce, coarsely chopped (about 5 cups total)
- 4 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 4 red radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon torn small fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch sugar
Steam the asparagus and peas over boiling water, using a steamer pot with a perforated insert until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minute. Run cold water over the vegetables to stop the cooking process, then drain and pat dry.
Transfer the cooled vegetables to a large bowl. Add the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, and fresh herbs.
In a small bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and sugar. Drizzle over the salad and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately.
This recipe is from Vegan Without Borders © Robin Robertson, 2014, Andrews McMeel Publishing, photo by Sara Remington.